The Executive Chairman of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for Accra 2023, Dr. Kwaku Ofosu-Asare, has outlined the criteria used to select the sports disciplines which will be competing at the 13th African Games.
The list of 25 disciplines was announced during the closing session of the First Joint Technical Meeting with the LOC, the TCAG, and the AUSC which was held at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Friday, February 18, 2022.
The disciplines selected include; Football, Athletes, Boxing, Cycling, Chess, Squash, Table Tennis, Tennis, Netball, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Fencing, Cricket, Armwrestling, Badminton, Basketball, Field Hockey, Handball, Judo, Karate-do, Rugby, Swimming, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, and Teqball as a demonstration sport.
The criteria as enumerated by Dr. Ofosu-Asare include the following;
- Sending out forms of interest to the various confederations to complete and return for assessment.
- The confederations were required to explain the qualification procedures and processes for their various teams and individual sports.
- The LOC also took into consideration the number of teams and individual athletes to be based in Accra for the Games in their respective sports codes.
- The LOC considered availability of facilities required for the Games.
- Availability of the number of technical officials required.
- The contribution of various international confederations towards the disciplines.
- Expectations of various sports disciplines of the LOC.
- Milestones reached by various sports disciplines with respect to qualification to major international competitions.
- The expected outcomes of the African Games.